It’s now June 25, 2015 and we are expecting our first baby in October!!! She’s a little girl and she’s absolutely crazy. She’s twisting and turning doing somersaults in the womb. We can feel her doing that every waking hour (meaning only when she’s not sleeping). During her anatomy ultrasound we even watched her do that for 15 whole minutes! I feel like naming her Zoey because it sounds like a crazy girl name for a little crazy girl. I feel that she’ll bolt out of the womb dashing down the corridors with pointy teeth and orange zig-zag hair. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. Other than that, we have a name for her but we’ll share that at a later time!
Below you see this guest room (first room on the left down the main hall) as we first saw it last year in June of 2014. You see the tan paint, new carpet, old glass square light fixture, and long co-ax cable.
We moved our stuff in and didn’t want to cover the air-vent so we put the bed a little to the left. We later remediated this problem with a magnetic air-deflector this sits on the vent and shoots the air out from under the furniture. The “unbreakable” ones were less than $3 at Lowes.
The room rested in this phase (phase 2) until about April of 2015.
In April of 2015 we painted it “Swiss Coffee” a color from Behr available at the Home Depot. We didn’t know the gender at this point so we just went with a simple color and nice new light fixture.
And now the Guestroom transforms into a Nursery in Mid-May 2015!
Kacee also had this wonderful idea to put some Board and Batten (Kacee referenced several blogs including this one for inspiration). So we measured it all up and bought some pine 1×3 boards and had the store cut to our measurements. We painted them outside and coated them three times before we began hanging them. We didn’t have a miter saw for the corners so my cousin “Sir Reginald” came over and helped us do that part and use the nail gun to secure them. When all was said and done we decided just to keep the board and not add any batten (the vertical boards).
We then caulked the nail holes and the lines joining the board to the wall and applied several coats of touch-up paint. We kept the boards and the bottom half in the Swiss Coffee Behr color. We used a Satin Sheen for the walls and the boards. The base boards and door frames are in Bistro White from Valspar in the semi-gloss sheen. We painted the top half Twinkly Green, a color from Sherwin Williams. We had it color matched into Valspar paint because we prefer the Valspar.
We then found this really nice recliner at KSL.com for $200. It’s in perfect condition and the new ones go for $700 or $800. It’s a little miniature and it fits just fine. The full size recliners would have presented great difficulty if we had tried to fit one in that little corner!
So it’s a Nursery! Guests are reduced to the fold-out couch in the office. We just can’t wait for Baby Girl to get here!!! Tune back in for the new windows and doors coming in July 2015!!